A major part of our activity involves large numbers of people working on industrial sites, which makes labor safety a priority if all components of Mechel group’s business are to function in a stable way.
Employees are a key asset for any company. Human life and health are worth more than economic results and industrial achievements. Thus, no steady development and further expansion can be obtained without organized control over potentially dangerous sites and technological processes. Creating safe and comfortable work conditions, decreasing occupational hazards, and ensuring healthy life for future generations are an important part of Mechel’s strategy.
Ensuring integrated approach to all issues of occupational safety is the principal goal in creating a management system for labor protection and safety on all levels. The ultimate goal is to make Mechel a leader in labor protection and safety among coal and steel producers. The way to attain this goal lies in control and constant improvement of two key components — conditions of labor and personnel activity.
The chief components of consistent labor protection improvement are:
- Ensuring efficient training and professional development for employees in terms of labor protection and safety
- Knowledge, understanding and stringent compliance with safety requirements by every employee
- Involvement of all employees in ensuring safe labor conditions, using personnel motivation
- Prevention and minimization of economic losses linked with accidents and professional hazards
- Informing employees of work conditions, existing risks and ways to decrease them
- Distributing functions and responsibilities, exchange of experience between various management levels, orientation on safe production and technologies
- Mandatory use of required individual and group protection
- Fostering intolerance of flouting safety requirements and labor protection rules
- Declaring industrial safety, appraisal of risks linked to exploitation of hazardous objects, as well as measures Mechel takes to lower such risks
- Common safety requirements both to Mechel’s own personnel and experts offering services to Mechel’s enterprises
Mechel aims for a systematic approach to various labor safety aspects, bringing in all available resources. One of key priorities is working to improve the potential of labor protection staff. Only the most experienced employees are tasked with this, and due to significant authority and responsibility, they are awarded high status. We adhere to centralized keeping of accident records, which allows us to determine the dynamics of changes in the labor protection and safety management system, as well as make appropriate managerial decisions, including development and implementation of preventive measures.
Mechel’s enterprises implement health protection programs for their employees. Apart from mandatory medical examinations, employees are offered additional medical services to prevent occupational hazards, restore their health on resorts and undergo treatment in specialized clinics.
High rates of labor protection and safety add to any company’s prestige. Traumatism undermines an enterprise’s image and has a negative impact on personnel’s moral state. Thus, bringing down occupational hazards is one of Mechel’s most important tasks. Labor protection and safety are now part of the whole business management system.